Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board
The Tūwharetoa Māori Trust Board (the Board) is a body legislated to administer Ngāti Tūwharetoa assets handed down from our Tūpuna for the benefit of present and future generations of Ngāti Tūwharetoa.
The first five members of the the Board were appointed on the 15th November 1926. The appointed members were Hoani Te Heuheu, Pau Mariu, Kahu Te Kuru, Paora Rokino, Pitiroi Mohi, Taite Te Tomo, Takinga Arthur Grace and Werihe Te Tuiri.
After their appointment the first Board hui was held at Tokaanu on the 24th November 1926. At this hui the board elected Hoani Te Heuheu as its first Chairman and Puataata Alfred Grace as its first Secretary.
The Board was originally established according to the Land Amendment and Land Claims Adjustment Act 1926. This legislation was used to give effect to an agreement between the Crown and Hoani Te Heuheu, TeHeuheu Tukino VI, on behalf of Ngāti Tūwharetoa.
The Board now operates under the Trust Boards Act 1955. It is this legislation which provides for the Board to receive compensation for access to the fishery. The Trust Boards Act requires the Board to:
“Administer its assets for the general benefit of its beneficiaries and for that purpose, the Board may at its discretion, provide money for the benefit or advancement in life of any specific beneficiary, or any class or classes of beneficiaries”
Today the Board is committed to maintaining and repatriating tribal lands, maintaining and enhancing our waterways and supporting our people to achieve their aspirations, with the guidance and support of tribal leadership.